Don’t let the name fool you. These “crumb cakes” are delicious, savory pancakes. This recipe was created by my mother when I was very young and has ever since been a go-to side when we have leftover egg mixture and bread crumbs when making things like juicy chicken schnitzels, chicken kievs or eggplant parmesan. Basically, any recipe that results in leftover bread crumbs and egg equals crumb cake time! I mean, why waste those perfectly good seasoned bread crumbs? I personally like mine still a little bit gooey in the middle.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Cheese and herbs of your choice
- Whisk eggs then add just enough bread crumbs to create a loose batter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add half a hand full of cheese and a tablespoon of herbs and mix well.
- Heat a pan over a medium-high heat and add a knob of butter. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of batter and cook for about 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown on each side.
- Delicious served with any kind of sauce!