This recipe was requested by a good friend of mine who wanted a “trash” or “garbage” recipe for his sandwich press. So I came up with this twist on classic Hash Browns. After some trial and error, I discovered that you can do so much in a sandwich press, like these super crispy hash browns! It actually amazed me while doing this dish how quickly you can achieve crispy bacon using a sandwich press!
If you like this recipe why not check out all my other Savoury Recipes?
- 2 Desiree potatoes or red washed potatoes, grated
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chives and sour cream to serve
- Put bacon onto the preheated sandwich press and close the lid until crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and turn the sandwich press off until needed. Crumble the bacon when cooled slightly.
- Squeeze out as much liquid from the grated potatoes as possible and then pat dry with paper towel and put into a bowl with the bacon, oil, cheese and season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Preheat the sandwich press and spray with a little oil on both sides. Place about 1/4 cup of potato mixture per hash brown onto the hot plate and leave closed for about 5 minutes or until crispy. Try not to open before 5 minutes because they may fall apart. If you find the hash brown is stuck to the top when it’s done, don’t worry, just flick it off with a knife or spatula.
- While hot, season with some salt and serve with chives and sour cream.