For as long as I can remember chicken schnitzels have been an absolute family favourite in my household. My mother usually makes this with Crumb in One premade breadcrumb mix available here in Australia. So if you can buy prepacked Crumb in one in your local shop then go ahead and use them! Oh, and the leftover egg and bread crumbs can be used to make my delicious crumb cakes!
- 2 medium-sized chicken breast fillets, cut horizontally to make 4 fillets.
- 4 free-range eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs or cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumb in one mix (optional)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp dried parsley or 1/4c fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil and butter for frying
- Mix the breadcrumbs together with the crumb in one mix if using, basil, parsley, garlic, parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken into the egg then coat in the crumb mix. Repeat with remaining chicken. In a large pan over a medium-high heat, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil then add the chicken to the pan and add a few knobs of butter. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Once removed from the pan place on a plate with a paper towel to drain off excess oil and season with salt. Serve with a wedge of lemon and maybe some crispy smashed potatoes!