Makes: 9 Cinnamon Scrolls
I love fresh bread and it’s so easy to make your own baked bread at home not to mention healthier too.
Some days I really fancied a cinnamon scroll and there just weren’t any recipes that stood out to me. So I came up with my own using a basic sweet dough recipe. The bread improver just helps it rise more and gives it a softer texture too but you don’t have to use it.
If you like this recipe, why not check out all my other sweet treats?
- 290ml warm water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 tsp bread improver (optional)
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (sachet of yeast)
- 100g softened butter
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a jug, pour in the warm water and dissolve the sugar and yeast in it and set it aside to activate. In a bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment put it the bread flour, egg, melted butter and milk powder and put it onto a medium-low speed. While it mixes pour in the water and yeast mixture. Let the dough come together and then add the salt to the dough and let it knead for 5-10 minutes. Set it aside with a tea towel to rise for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape about 1cm thick. Spread the butter all over the dough and then sprinkle over the brown sugar and cinnamon, you can add extra cinnamon if you like it as I do! Don’t be scared to use more if you feel it needs it.
- Line and grease a rectangular baking dish (roasting dish) with baking paper. Roll the dough up into a log and divide into 9 portions and place into the baking dish about 2-3 cm apart and cover again with a tea towel to rise for 35-50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170ºc and bake the cinnamon scrolls for 25-30 minutes. Let the scrolls cool a bit before icing. Once cooled for about 1 hour, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, you want it to be a bit thick but still be able to drizzle, add more powdered sugar if it’s too runny. Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon scrolls.