Who doesn’t love a pasta bake? This makes a great quick weeknight meal. So delicious, cheap and fast, everyone will love it! The recipe works best with a chunky homemade pesto (recipe coming soon), otherwise, a good quality shop bought one will be fine also.
For this recipe, we used a ready cooked chicken from the local supermarket. However, if you want to use fresh chicken breast, you can dice it up and fry it or bake it in the oven and shred it yourself.
- 500g Penne pasta, fresh or dried is fine
- 1 Small jar of basil pesto or you could even use a sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella
- Grease a baking dish and preheat oven to 200ºc. Cook pasta till just undercooked (it will continue to cook in the oven) and keep about 2/3 cup of the pasta water and set aside.
- In a bowl, or in the same pot you boiled the pasta in, mix together the pesto, chicken and pasta water and transfer to the greased baking dish and top with the mozzarella. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Let the pasta bake cool for about 10-15 minutes and serve with garlic bread.