We absolutely love pasta in our household. We try not to eat it often but sometimes we go all out, like with this marvelous creation. The best thing about my Rigatoni Pie recipe is that it is absolutely loaded with healthy veggies and no one will ever know!
Rigatoni pie holds together so well when it’s rested and cooled slightly, so it’s easy to portion out the same amount to each person. Or you could just sit there and eat the whole thing on your own…
- 1 batch of Hidden Veg Bolognese
- 500g rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 200ºc. While the oven is preheating, bring a pot of water to the boil and salt the water. Add the rigatoni and cook for about 5-6 minutes, so it’s pliable but not cooked through, then drain.
- While the pasta is hot, toss about 2 tablespoons of parmesan into the pasta so that it melts. This will act like a glue and also gives the pasta a great flavour.
- Once pasta is cool enough to touch, grab a cake pan (a 22cm spring form cake pan is ideal), place a little hidden veg bolognese sauce on the bottom and start assembling your pie. Start by standing the pasta up around the outside of the cake pan and work your way in. You’ll need every bit of pasta, so squeeze them all in wherever you can.
- Start ladling on the hidden veg bolognese sauce, and tapping the pan on the bench so that the sauce goes down the holes. Keep pouring the sauce on bit by bit until you can no longer see any air bubbles popping up. Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the foil and add on the mozzarella and the rest of the parmesan cheese and bake for a further 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
- Let the pie rest for about 15-20 minutes so that it has time to settle. Unclip the pan, slice and serve.