Stock image alert! Hey everyone, Mark again. I don’t have a photo of my homemade ghee yet, I used a stock photo from Google, so thanks to whoever I
stole borrowed this photo from, I’ll replace it with my own photo eventually. But anyway, I just wanted to put up this recipe to accompany my Potted Beef Sandwich Filler recipe from earlier.
Ghee is just clarified butter. You can melt the butter in a saucepan until the whey proteins float to the surface and scoop em off with a spoon, but that takes forever. Heres a quicker way and it couldn’t be any easier!
- 1 stick of Butter
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat and melt the butter. Allow the butter to bubble until white foam starts to appear on the surface of the butter. Do not stir. When the butter is foaming, allow it to cook for around 1 minute. You don’t want to burn it.
- Grab a strainer and place some cheesecloth (or a coffee filter) inside the strainer and place over a heatproof jug/jar.
- Pour the melted butter through the cheesecloth/coffee filter. You may need to repeat this step if the liquid in the jug/jar looks murky. The liquid should be clear yellow.
- Once all the liquid has passed through the strainer, discard the filter/contents of the cheesecloth.
- Let the liquid cool down. cover and place in the fridge.
- Done. Your homemade Ghee can be used for Indian cooking, melting on veggies, or even as an alternative to butter for people with an intolerance to lactose.