Who doesn’t like a good lamb souvlaki? Slow cooked marinated lamb with homemade pitas and a delicious, fresh tzatziki sauce are always a winner if you’re entertaining friends or family. Just put the ingredients out and everyone can help themselves to what they want in their fresh homemade pitas or our easy flatbreads!
- 1-1.5kg boneless lamb shoulder
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only
- Small bunch fresh oregano
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Homemade Pitas Ingredients:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 1/2- 3 cups bread flour or plain flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Add all ingredients into a ziplock bag or bowl and mix together well. Put into the fridge and marinate for up to 2 days. Overnight is fine though.
- After marinating, you can either place the lamb into the slow cooker with all the marinade and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. Alternatively, you can place it into your pressure cooker and cook it according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
Pita Bread Method:
- In a jug, mix the water sugar and yeast together and put aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer attached with a dough hook add in the yeast mixture and 2 1/2 cups flour and put on a low speed. Once the dough starts coming together add the salt and olive oil and let it knead for 5 minutes. If it appears too wet, add flour a little bit at a time.
- On a lightly floured bench, tip dough out and hand knead it for a few more minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel and let rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the air out of the dough and divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 230 degrees with a pizza stone in the oven, or alternatively use an oven tray.
- Roll out dough until thin and put as many as you can in the oven for approximately 3 minutes or until they have puffed up. Serve hot.