Why is it called Hunters Chicken? I have NO idea, but this recipe is easy and seriously tasty.
This is chicken, bacon, BBQ sauce and cheese. what more do I need to say? I tried to make it look fancy in these little individual baking dishes but you can do as many as you like in a bigger baking dish. Let’s get started.
- 1 skinless chicken breast per person
- Enough bacon to wrap each breast. (streaky bacon works best)
- 1 bottle of your favourite BBQ sauce. (You won’t need the whole bottle, depending on how many you’re serving)*
- Tasty cheese for topping
- Preheat your oven to around 180 degrees C/356 degrees F
- Take each breast and cover with glad wrap/shrink wrap. Give it a good bash with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser to flatten slightly.
- In a hot, lightly oiled fry pan, brown the chicken and fry the bacon until the fat starts to render but is still soft enough to wrap around your chicken and allow to cool, this prevents the bacon fat going slimy when cooking in the sauce later.
- Wrap each breast with 1-2 rashers of bacon.
- Squirt/dollop some BBQ sauce into your baking dish(es) to cover the bottom and place the wrapped breasts on top.
- Cover the breasts with more BBQ sauce until they are coated. (you don’t need to drown them, the juices from the bacon and chicken will add more liquid and flavour to the sauce).
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes
- Remove from the oven and dispose of the foil.
- Top with your favourite cheeses and place back in the oven for a further 10-20 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve. We enjoy this dish with spicy baked potato wedges or our crispy smashed potatoes and salad.