Makes 4 large flatbreads or 6-8 small ones
I’m a huge fan of Masterchef Australia and when I saw on one episode that you could make flatbreads with just self-raising flour and greek yoghurt I just had to try it!
So my partner and I tried the basic flatbread recipe and they were to die for! And then I thought “Hey I wonder what else you could do? I wonder if I could stuff them…” and this is how this recipe was born! This recipe goes perfectly with either our chicken rendang or the quick curry recipe!
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1-1/2 cups greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil + extra for cooking
- In a small bowl, mix together the mozzarella, parsley, garlic and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour and make a well for 1 cup of the yoghurt and salt. Gently start combining it together and once the dough forms a shaggy ball, start kneading it in the bowl. If it feels too dry add a bit of yoghurt, 1 tablespoon at a time, till it becomes a soft dough.
- At this stage, you will need to divide the dough. You will need 2 balls per flatbread. For example, if you want 8 flatbreads you will need to divide the dough into 16 balls. They will be very very small but they will end up the size of a small taco shell!
On a lightly floured bench, roll the balls out as thin as you can get them without them ripping though.
- Once you have your balls rolled out, grab a decent amount of cheese filling and spread it out over the centre of the dough leaving about 1cm gap around the edges.
Using your fingers or a pastry brush, wet the edges of the dough with some water and place the other half of dough over the top and seal the edges. Then roll the flatbread out again about 1/4 inch thick (don’t worry your filling won’t come out if you’ve sealed it shut).
- Preheat a large pan over medium-low heat. Brush one side of your flatbreads with olive oil and place oiled side down for 3-4 minutes, brushing the other side with oil as well, flip and cook for a further 3 minutes. Once cooked, place into a bowl with a tea towel to keep warm, then serve!