The Best Homemade Lasagne Recipe
Who doesn’t love pasta? Or better yet who doesn’t love lasagne?
There are so many different lasagne recipe variations to try, from vegetable to a white sauce based chicken. But this lasagne recipe of my own will always be a family favourite for us.
- 1 batch of Homemade Pasta Dough, rolled out into lasagne sheets
- 1 batch of Hidden Veg Bolognese, cooled slightly
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella, reserve 1 cup for topping
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, sliced
- 30g butter
- 30g flour
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, or cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºc. In a large rectangular baking dish about 40cmx20cm, start by placing a small amount of bolognese sauce on the bottom of the dish, enough to coat it. Then place a single layer of pasta sheets down. Next, ladle enough sauce to coat the pasta sheets and dollop bits of ricotta over the sauce and sprinkle a small amount of mozzarella over. Repeat these layers until you finish with pasta sheets on top.
- Make the bechamél: In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat add the butter and melt until it becomes foamy then add in your flour and whisk together. Let it cook for about 1 minute. Slowly add in your milk a bit at a time whisking while adding. Once all milk has been added, let it simmer until it thickens slightly. Whisk in the cheese and season to your liking.
- Pour the bechamél over the top of the lasagne. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover the foil and top with the mozzarella and parmesan and bake for further 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting. Garnish with basil and serve!