Simple Apple Cake recipe Serves 12
Have a tea party you’re attending and you’ve been asked to bring something? Want to surprise a friend with something delicious? This is the easiest simple apple cake you’ll find! Simple everyday ingredients that you’ll most likely already have on hand.
This apple cake is moist and not too sweet, perfect to eat with a cup of coffee or tea.
My best friend recently had a baby, so to surprise her I brought her some lunch and I thought I should also bring her something sweet. Apples are in season at the moment so I thought an apple cake could be perfect!
If you like this recipe please check out my other desserts here!
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 165g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 160ml milk
- 230g self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 green apples cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- Grease and line a 22cm cake tin. Preheat oven to 160ºc fan-forced or 170ºc conventional.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add in 1 egg at a time, incorporating well before adding the next egg. Then add in the milk and beat till combined. Your batter may look like it’s curled at this stage but it’s ok don’t worry!
Add in your sifted flour, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest and beat together until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the cake pan and smooth it out over the base. then lay out a single layer of apple slices over the batter. Top with remaining batter and then place another layer of apples over the top. Sprinkle over the almond flakes and the raw sugar. Optionally you could sprinkle over some more cinnamon at this stage too!
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the baking pan for 20 minutes before placing it onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve on its own or serve it warm with ice cream or dollop cream!