Serves 2-3 | Makes approximately 9 Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
These are my amazing mozzarella stuffed meatballs! If you’re after delicious juicy and tender meatballs that are stuffed with cheese then look no further!
I have been making meatballs for many years trying out all different ways of cooking them and I finally found a way of cooking them so that they stay moist and tender guaranteed. These meatballs can be served on their own or with Homemade Pasta or even with a side of Garlic Bread
- 500g beef mince
- 1 cup fresh coarse bread crumbs (just whiz up day-old bread in a blender or food processor)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 100g mozzarella, cubed into 2 cm cubes
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- First, start by making the sauce: In a heavy based saucepan heat up olive oil over medium-low heat and add the onion and the salt. Cook until softened slightly. Then add in the garlic and chilli flakes. Cook until fragrant. Add in the tinned tomatoes, swirl about 1/2 cup of water in the empty tins and add them in and the basil. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and then let it simmer for 35-45 minutes or until it has reduced and thickened. Discard basil.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the meatballs: In a small bowl put in the bread crumbs and milk and let them soak for 5 minutes. Using a larger bowl add in all the meatball ingredients except for the mozzarella cubes and mix until just combined, do not over mix.
- Use a large ice cream scoop as your guide (or just eyeball enough meatball mixture) to scoop up the meatball mixture, flatten it out slightly and place a piece of mozzarella in the centre and roll up the meatball to enclose the mozzarella. Repeat until all mixture is used.
- Gently lower the meatballs into the sauce and try and scoop some of the Napoli sauce over the top of each meatball. Cover the pot and let the meatballs simmer in the sauce for 20-25 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it cool slightly for 10 minutes.
Serve optionally with my Easiest Garlic Bread!