Monkey Bread Serves: 8-12
On my Facebook page, I asked my followers what they’d like to see or know how to do and one of them suggested Monkey Bread. After putting it to a vote, Monkey bread was the winner! You may ask “what is monkey bread?” to put it simply, it’s a sweet bread dough, rolled into balls, coated in cinnamon sugar and baked in a bundt pan for an easy family sharing breakfast!
This recipe can be made a day in advance if need be. Just reheat it in your oven at 160ºc-170ºc for about 10 minutes and serve with sides of your choice like cream, ice cream, fruit etc.
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk (approx 43ºc)
- 1 sachet of yeast
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 70g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 3/4 cup plain flour
- 110g unsalted butter, melted + 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp+ 1 tsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dough: Mix together the milk, yeast and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Cover and allow to foam up (5-10 minutes).
- Add in the eggs, butter, salt and 2 cups of the flour. Beat on low while scraping the sides down for about 1 minute. Add in the remaining flour and beat on medium speed and allow to knead for 4-5 minutes. It will be quite sticky but this is good!
- Lightly grease a large bowl with some cooking spray and place the inside and cover the bowl. Place in a warm place for about 1.5-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan.
- Prepare the coating: Mix the caster sugar and cinnamon together in a medium sized dish and place 110g melted butter in a small dish.
- Punch the dough down. Take small amounts of dough and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. It should make around 40-45 balls. Dip each ball into the melted butter and then coat generously in the cinnamon sugar. Arrange in the bundt pan until all completed. Cover the bundt pan and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180ºc or 160ºc fan forced and place the rack lower down in the oven. Mix the remaining melted butter, brown sugar and vanilla together and pour over the monkey bread.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. If it’s browning too quickly then cover it loosely with foil. Let it cool for 10 minutes then invert onto a board or serving plate.
- Mix together the icing sugar, milk and vanilla and pour over the monkey bread. If the glaze is too thick add 1/2 tsp more milk. Serve with any yummy sides of your choice!
Check out my other Sweet Treats