Makes approximately 10 Corn and Zucchini Fritters
We all love to find new ways of getting vegetables into our diets, especially when you have fussy kids. These Corn and Zucchini Fritters are a sure way of getting any fussy eater or meat eater to get some extra veg in their diet!
I have played around with a bunch of different recipes to try and achieve a fluffy, yet still crisp fritter with great flavour and this ended up being the best result. Oh and they are super quick and easy to make so its a win win!
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini (courgette), grated
- 1 1/2-2 cups thawed corn kernels, or fresh off the cob
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
- 1/4 cup Parmesan (Optional. Exclude for completely vegetarian fritters)
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Spread the grated zucchini out onto a chopping board and sprinkle over about 2 tsp of salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. Place the zucchini in a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess liquid and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder and season to your liking with salt and pepper. I used about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk and eggs. Pour over the flour and whisk together until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Preheat a large fry pan over medium heat and pour in the oil so it’s about 1-2 cm deep. Once oil is hot, pour 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter into the pan. Cooking about 3-4 fritters at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack while cooking the rest. Serve with sides of your choice. I served mine with fresh mint, Greek yoghurt and lemon wedges.
If you would like to see more recipes, check out my other savoury delights.